Philip – WW II & Korean Era Veteran
Quote: “I rely on my daughter to look up medical things for me—it works real well.”
Adjectives: Grateful, Resolute, Spiritual
Target Statement: Philip is nearing the end of his life. He lives to share his experiences and memories with those close to him.
Age: 90 Years Old
Location: Tampa, FL
Receives Care at: James A. Haley Veterans’ Hospital
Narrative (Overview of his Life Story)
Philip joined the Army Air Corps in 1943 when he turned 18. He was assigned to the glider pilot training and flew a WACO CG-4A for mission Chicago with the 101st Airborne during the Normandy Invasion. He landed his glider 2 miles west of Sainte-Marie-du- Mont, which was successful but it was a hard landing and he later discovered he had two compression fractures in his neck as a result. Despite his injuries he helped man the anti-tank gun his glider carried. His neck injury kept him from being redeployed to the Pacific theater and he spent the remainder of the war at Fort Campbell.
After leaving the Army Air Corps in 1946 he returned home and married his high school sweetheart. He opened up a small hardware store that he operated until he retired in 1995. The couple had one daughter, Joyce, who has provided care for him since his wife died in 2007. Divorced with 2 grown children, Joyce works from home as a billing clerk. This allows her the flexibility and resources to care for her father, who lives with her in her home.
Philip’s Devices & Technology Skills
- Landline phone
- Jitterbug (Limited function cell phone -gift from his daughter, to call grandkids)
Philip’s Caregiver Devices & Technology Skills
- iPhone 5s (smartphone)
- MacBook Pro with Yosemite OS (Mac Laptop)
- iPad 3 (Tablet -that she loans to her dad to keep his mind “sharp”)
Philip’s Approach to His Health
Items that are darker and larger are more important to Philip than items that are smaller and lighter.
Philip’s Use of VA Services
- My HealtheVet Rx Refill, Summary of Care, Secure Messaging, Appointments (Daughter)
- Caregiver Apps (Daughter)
- Hearing Aid batteries (Daughter)
- Flu Vaccines (reluctantly)
Philip’s Health Issues
- Sensory Neurological loss (hearing loss)
- Eye Disease (Cataracts)
- Heart Disease and COPD
- Early Dementia
- Prostate Cancer Management
- Ambulatory with walker
Philip’s VA Technology Pain Points
- Getting to my appointments
Caregiver VA Technology Pain Points
- Getting Philip to appointments
- Difficulty getting lab results through My HealtheVet
- Problems with Rx Refill reminders
Philip’s HIT Needs
- Make sure someone responds to me (answers my questions)
Caregiver HIT Needs/Motivators
- Help me manage his meds and get him to appointments
Individuals that are darker, larger and closer to Philip’s silhouette are more important to Philip than individuals that are smaller, lighter and farther away.
Philip’s Persona Profile Page
Philip’s profile is available for download as a PDF in low resolution, suitable for emailing, and as a PDF in high resolution, suitable for printing up to 11×17. If you need larger sizes, please contact Human Factors Engineering.
Tell Us What You Think About This Content
If you are using this persona for your project, please let us know how you are using it or if you have any resources to share with other teams. Please also let us know if you have any feedback on this persona or any of the resources provided for this persona.